Thursday, October 19, 2006

This week's experiment

This is the week I decided to try back-to-back long runs as well as keeping the full weekly mileage high (to make my 3rd consecutive week of 81 miles). So far so pretty good.
  • Monday (after Sunday's marathon), I ran 14 miles in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. The morning run was dragging a bit until meeting up with Amie D. which really helped the time fly.
  • Tuesday's run with the Boulder Road Runners really showed how tired my legs were. I didn't even try the tempo work 'cuz it was so hard staying up with everyone just during the warm up - but - log another 9 in the books.
  • Wednesday was an easy day; just 6 miles total running to/from BCOR where we did some lower body work.
  • Today was back to the tough stuff. Jester dog really really wanted to come with. I had planned on a hill workout so decided to do repeats on Boomerang Hill behind NIST (a boomerang-shaped dirt road running from the back side of NIST up to some trails leading to the Mesa Trail). I figured the overall distance would be too long for Jester but he could just hang out on the hill as I went up and back ...six times. A couple of incorrect assumptions: 1) I had remembered the hill being 5-6 minutes long but it was taking right about 7 minutes today. And I had wanted 3 miles of hill work - thus the six repeats (6x~.5 miles up). But I had forgotten about the 6 downhills associated with the repeats when calculating my time. So, what I had thought would be about 30 minutes of hill work turned into ~78 minutes (6x7 minutes up and 6x6 minutes down). Oops. So much for being on time to help catalog books in my husband's library. ...and... 2) No way Jester was going to 'hang out' while I went running out of sight. Fortunately it was a cool day (there was even some snow for him to frolic in) and he did have sense to slow down a bit as the repeats continued on - but he sure did get in an exceptionally long run for a sprinter dog. The good news is, both the human and the dog appear to have come off the repeats feeling good.
  • Tonight - run to/from BCOR.
  • Tomorrow - 3 hour run planned (last 2 hours with running buddy AndyE)
  • Saturday & Sunday - not sure yet - maybe 60-90 minutes each. Whatever it takes to get to 81 miles for the week.
In the meantime....stretch....ice....stick....stretch....walk....ice....stretch....

No comments: