Sunday, October 08, 2006

Topping 80

I reached a milestone this week - 81.5 miles logged Monday through Sunday. How does one do that, one might ask... Let me tell you, it's really handy to be retired since, at my speed, it takes a loooong time to cover that amount of mileage.
Here's how the miles unfolded:
* Monday: up behind the Bureau of Standards and along the base of NCAR - i.e., some hills, along the extremely pleasant western boundary of Boulder (53 minutes)
* Tuesday morning: 35 minutes warming up from my house (the long way) to where the Boulder Road Runners gather for their Tues/Thurs a.m. workouts, followed by60 minutes with the BRRs including some tempo running, then 27 minutes back home.
* Tuesday afternoon: to the post office, to campus to pick up some paperwork, and to Kinkos to pick up the calendar I had made for our anniversary (i.e., running errands...literally) (40 minutes).
* Wednesday: 3.25 hours running west along Boulder Creek (to a park that has a restroom that had opera playing in it!), then south to the Mesa Trail for a spectacular autumn run along scarlet and gold-laden trails. This is the run during which I thought to myself "there is nothing I'd rather be doing." A good thing, I suppose, since that's just about all I'll be doing next summer!
* Thursday morning: an easy 1 hour 53 minute run along the South Boulder Creek trail (the soft and flattish eastern portion of the trail), picking up various bike paths to wind my way back home.
* Thursday afternoon: to & from BCOR with 30 minutes of running the Mesa Trail during BCOR.
* Friday: 1.75 hours with AndyE, on the western portion of the South Boulder Creek trail and over to the Bluestem trail. An honest workout that takes you up up up then down down down with great footing on the downhill allowing you to take in the view from mountains to plains.
* Saturday: 2.5 hours - a little less than the 3 hours I had originally planned since my weekly total was beginning to look a bit huge. Again on the eastern portion of South Boulder Creek and various additional trails, this time with Kendall accompanying me on his bike. This run, I was feeling rather tired.
* Sunday: capped off the week with the Denver Race For The Cure. ~64,000 participants. What a phenomenal event - and a grand finale for the week's running.

No comments: