Friday, November 03, 2006

T-shirt, shorts, and change

One nice thing about living in Boulder is the number of warm days we have throughout the year.
And one nice thing about being retired is the flexibility about when to head out for a run.
Today, I awoke to 20-something degrees and a forecast for low 60s - so I dawdled about the house until the thermometer read 50 and I could head out in shorts and t-shirt. In November. Weehaww!

The plan was for 17 miles and, being the warm day it was, I decided to run in circles with a bottle of gatorade stashed in a spot I'd be passing by three times. It worked out quite nicely. Three circles of the CU cross-country course + the South Boulder Creek trail, 1 porta-potty stop, 40 ounces of gatorade, 1 gu, 3 gumdrops, 6 hawks, 4 horses, a whole buncho' cows, a town full of prairie dogs, a swarm of grasshoppers, one fly in my cap, and 83 cents (found in 3 different places - a major score since money found while running or walking is my most consistent funding source for this adventure) later, I had my 17 miles. Morning had turned into afternoon, toasted legs were ready for a cold hosing down, muscles were aching for a stretch, tummy was rumbling for a real meal. Mission accomplished! Done, done and done!

No comments: