Monday, March 05, 2007

110-180-110 day 1

This three-week cycle of 110-180-110 miles is both for training and for learning. I figured I'd better write down what I'm learning as I suspect my brain cells will be on hiatus by the end of the cycle.
So, day 1, what did I do right?
  • I ran what I needed to run (17.5 miles) (I figure I need to average about 16 miles this week.
  • I arranged to run with a friend for my afternoon run as insurance against bailing on that run.
  • I got a massage.
  • I stretched after my last (3rd) run of the day.
  • The interval between by 2nd and 3rd runs seem to work out ok (about 2.5 hours).
  • I ate before my first (and longest) run.
  • When I ate lunch and dinner, I ate well (lots of fruit, vegies, and some protein).
  • I spent very little time at the computer and switched chairs for the time I did spend at the computer (my tailbone and back of my right leg have been bothering me after spending so much time doing taxes, financial aid forms, chamber of commerce letters, etc.)
  • I treated my feet to foot cream. ahhh...
  • I'm going to bed relatively early (as soon as I finish this and it's not quite 10 p.m.)
What did I do wrong?
  • I didn't stretch when I got home after my first two runs (Run #1: I ran to massage in a very round about way, had a massage, then run #2: ran home in a more direct way but by way of my old office where I picked up a book from a friend).
  • I didn't ice today (I didn't even shower today until 7 p.m. - which isn't necessarily a bad thing...unless you were unfortunate enough to find yourself downwind of me....)
  • I went 7 hours between breakfast and lunch.
  • I ate too much oatmeal before my first run (resulting in the need for a restroom stop along the way).
Still learning after all these miles...

No comments: