Thursday, March 08, 2007

Bonkorama

So, yesterday we left me with a queasy tummy and ingesting nothing after mid-afternoon other than ginger ale and tea.
Today I was hungry. So! The morning consisted of:
  • oatmeal
  • running 10 miles (the middle 6 with AndyE)
  • drinking most of my bottle of gatorade, and eating several spice gum drops and a slice of dried ginger during the run
  • running out of gas for the last ~2 miles
  • arriving home 45 minutes before I was supposed to be at the school to help out in the library
  • stretching (quickly)
  • ice bath (quick - not even taking time to make a hot drink to chug while freezing)
  • shower (quick)
  • big bowl of cereal with bananas and kashi
  • cup o' coffee to take with me to the school
  • shelving books
I felt great at the school but tanked when I got back home so I stretched out on the couch and finished the Ellery Queen book I was reading. I was not particularly hungry so just had a bit of melon and blueberries with cottage cheese and a couple of crackers. And after a little more reading it was time to run again!

This run was with Jester dog and we met up with Amie about half-way through. She's got a lot of experience with high mileage running so we spent most of our time together talking about how to eat while running most of the day. Ideas range from graham crackers to olives to fig bars to rice to pasta to protein (boiled eggs, chicken, shrimp...). Lots to experiment with. Lots to get figured out before June 6.

Summation of the day:
  • 2 runs: 10 miles (bonked at the end) and 6 miles (felt good). Note: for my 110 mile week, I figure I need to average almost 16 miles per day. Today is the first day I ran as little as 16.
  • Icing was the best thing I did today. My legs felt great on the second run (and they craved icing during the first run).
  • Stretching out on the couch and reading after working at the library and before going on my second run was the second best thing I did today. I felt completely pooped when I got back from the library but quite energetic from my second run on through the rest of the day.
  • I ate well early; I ate pizza for dinner. Mid-day, the fruit and cottage cheese tasted great. I'm probably calorie-short today.
  • Having friends to run with is invaluable. It's really making the miles go by easy.

No comments: