Sunday, March 11, 2007

110-180-110 - first 110 wrapped up!

Yep, 110 miles wrapped up with a bow on top. I must admit to being a bit dumbfounded by how well the week went and how good I feel. 106 miles in 6 days and a mere 4 today to get to 110. And it was a pleasant four miles indeed: me running with Jester dog on my left, Kendall bicycling on my right, and sunshine and blue sky overhead. Delightful!

So just what made this week go so well? Perhaps it's as simple as what my dad used to tell me: "If you just put your mind to it, you can do anything." I'm finally putting my mind to it instead of just my legs. This week was an exercise in pulling together the total package: miles + stretching + icing + eating + rest. I need to remember this.

Now on to the big test. 180 miles. 30 miles per day (split into two 15-mile runs) for 6 days. A dress rehearsal for the planned weekly schedule during The Run. Tomorrow, the first 30-mile day, should be quite interesting. My sons are arriving home for spring break from Knox College, via train, tomorrow, at 7:15 a.m. To get in both of my runs - and given that I would like to spend some time with my boys - I'm thinking I'll run toward Denver from Boulder. Which means leaving Boulder by 4 a.m. Hmmm. Drat that daylight savings time switch this morning. I'd better get to bed!

No comments: