Saturday, May 05, 2007

Bailed on a run

Cutting a run short is not something I do very often - especially a key long run. But I did it today.
I had a 30 mile run planned (~6 hours) and 2.5 hours into it, my stomach started going south. I've gotten pretty used to having a squirrely stomach during my 30-milers, but it doesn't usually happen until more like 5 hours into the run. When the tummy started churning today, I just kept on going, walking the hills, trying to get some nutrition in every 40 minutes, drinking every 20 minutes, hoping things would settle down. But no, the stomach stayed queasy, my head started aching, my energy was quickly draining, and at 3 hours and 45 minutes, I called Kendall for an early pick up.
Rats.
After a day of mostly lazing around, dozing off and on, not eating much, and with a froggy voice, I'm wondering if I might actually have a bit of a bug. If so, it's the first time I've been sick since retiring (last July 28) - no colds or nuthin' since then. I was sort of hoping to keep the streak going. Ah well, I'm off to bed and, perhaps if I actually manage more than 6 hours of sleep tonight, I'll be a new person tomorrow!

No comments: