Monday, May 21, 2007

Believe

This morning as I putzed around and eventually went on my morning run, my predominant emotion was "scared sh*tless." Thirty miles a day. Weeks and weeks of thirty miles a day. A week just to the northeast corner of Colorado, alllll the way across Nebraska, into Iowa, miles and miles of Minnesota, weaving through Wisconsin, up and up into the UP....and I expect to make it to Petoskey?!?!?!

But then the jitters began to settle down. First there were the calming hands (and voice and psyche) of magic fingers Beggsy, massage therapist extraordinaire. Massage was followed by an easy trot home, snack, and soothing warm shower, then it was out the door for coffee and a chat with an old work buddy - who, for some reason, exudes supreme confidence in my ability to do this. While coffee klatching, more former co-workers drifted in - cheerleaders one and all.

After coffee, I walked from campus to downtown. A downhill walk; a smooth, strong downhill walk. Hmmm, maybe this training has worked. Maybe this taper is working.

Downtown shopping: a father's day present for Kendall; a birthday present for my brother; a graduation present for my son. A joy to shop for something other than The Supply List!

Home again where a spurt of computer time knocked a couple of things off the To Do List. (Yes, there are lots of lists.)

Talked to Deb - the queen of logistics and keeping Paula calm. We drifted to topics other than The Run and I responded to something she said with "I'll see it when I believe it." When I went to correct myself, she said I had it right the first time. Bringing it back to The Run, she's absolutely right. I've always seen this run. It's gonna happen.

1 comment:

Devon said...

I believe in you, mom. You can somehow always believe in me, especially when I don't, now it is my turn to push you.

I love you, and I'll be expecting daily updates from the cornfields of Nebraska, to the cornfields of Iowa, to the lakes and forests of Minnesota, to the cheesy hills of Wisconsin, to the wooded shores of the UP, and finally a call from Grandma's house!

You can do this. I know it, because you're a Vaughan, and, more importantly, my mom!

Your Sunshine