Sunday, May 06, 2007

Sleep! The wonder drug!



Nine hours. Count 'em! Ni-ne hours of sleep last night. Marvelous zzzzzs!






So the big question this morning was:
Do I run 30 miles to make up for bailing on the 30-mile run yesterday?
Or do I run enough to get my 120 miles for the week (about a 4-hour run)?
Or do I just take it easy in deference to feeling so off yesterday? I chose door number 2 and decided to go for the 4-hour run for a 120-mile week. Good choice!

The first plan for this run was for me to run to the Boulder Road Runners' fun run with Kendall on the bike for the first part of the run. As I headed out the door my stomach growled and I realized I had forgotten to eat anything this morning. Anymore, I just can't do a four-hour run without eating - so back into the house I went to make a small bowl of oatmeal. That put the kabosh on running with the Road Runners as there was no way I'd make it there in time.

Time for plan B - a most excellent plan it turns out! Kendall rode his bike along with as I ran south to a trailhead with a lot of choices. After we parted ways, I went southwest on the Coal Seam trail (a new trail for me) that led to the Community Ditch trail which offered a mile's worth of shoe sucking mud (very fun), then crossed over to the Mesa trail with glorious views of the flatirons, and on up to the top of the Bluestem trail which is my most favorite springtime trail. Many of the flowers aren't quite in bloom yet - but it still offered many a beautiful sight to behold....not to mention a very fun multi-mile downhill run. Once off this western set of trails, I ducked into the south end of the CU cross-country property, said Hi to the cows that are grazing there, and trotted on home. Four hours and three minutes, just a minute less than yesterday's run - but a whole lot more fun. What a great day! Here's to a good night's sleep!

Oh yeah. One month from today - The Run begins!

Surprise Santa at the south entrance to CU's xc property

No comments: