Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sensible


Sensible: Endowed with good sense; intelligent, reasonable, judicious.
[according to the Oxford English Dictionary]

I believe I may have reason to question my sensibility of late.


For example, yesterday after my run, after getting out of wet clothes, getting some food (rice with fresh pineapple and a wee bit of butter and brown sugar - oh so good!), and filling the bath tub with cold water, I glanced at my watch. 5:25. I switched modes. 1:15. A "sensible" person would be looking at her watch at 5:25 p.m. and seeing that she ran 1 hour and 15 minutes. But, no, this person was looking at her watch at 1:15 p.m., having just run 5 hours and 25 minutes. Starting early in the morning, when it was 16 degrees, with roads covered with ice and snow.

As if I needed confirmation of my lack of sensibility, today I left even earlier, before dawn in fact, with the temperature at 10 degrees, a fresh couple inches of snow on the ground (hiding the residual ice of course) and more snow drifting down from the sky.

And then there's that whole 60k on my 60th birthday thing. Why don't I have a sprinter's mentality? 60 yards in 60 seconds at age 60 for example. Now that would be sensible, eh?

[photos from the Goose Creek Bike Path, between 30th and Foothills, Boulder, Colorado]

No comments: