Monday, February 27, 2012

The Week That Was

Last week was a tough one for the Miller clan. Kendall's uncle Dwight was moved to a hospice facility here in Boulder on Sunday. Family gathered, some stayed with us, lots of visiting, lots of laughing (the Millers are a lively bunch for any occasion), and Dwight died peacefully on Thursday morning, February 23rd. During the week we were fortunate to play host to Kendall's aunt Virginia (Dwight's sister) and Kendall's brother Andy; both great story tellers and wonderful company. (Photo, left to right: Andy, Virginia, Kendall)

Through the week, training for the 60k continued. The biggest disruption was the windstorm on Wednesday (winds were clocked at 89 mph here in Boulder) which meant my planned 3-hour run was reduced to 20 minutes, coming to a halt when a piece of fence blew past me and I decided I valued my life more than a few extra miles. The most fun run of the week was Thursday's when bro-in-law Andy cycled at my side while I ran. We have spent many a mile over the past 3 (almost 4) decades running or cycle/running together. I miss those times; it was treat to do it again.

The big run of the week came on Saturday. I carefully plotted a 30-mile run, mostly on trails (Wednesday's winds were snow-eaters and trails were once again available!) that would take me east and south. The run started with chilly temps (in the teens) that quickly warmed as the sun rose. Singletree and Coal Creek trails offered up the occasional snowdrift, one blown over tree, and one ice-filled tunnel - but otherwise delightful running. The Rock Creek trail and intersecting trails to Stearns Lake were a 5-mile study in shoe-sucking, slip-sliding mud. Oofdah; what a lot of work. Yikes! From Stearns it was on to mile 20 and Broomfield's Lake Link trail system which started with a glorious gravel trail along open space. Great running...except for the wind that began to kick up (big blustering high kicks that stayed with me the last 10 miles. Yikes again!). Eventually the gravel turned to concrete and started dipping into neighborhoods...rather difficult to follow, especially 25 miles into a run. Overall, from start to finish, it was a pretty nifty route with views of the Continental Divide that wouldn't quit - often as a backdrop to a lake or pond with gazillions of geese flying in and bobbing about.

(Running down from McKay Lake, foothills/Continental Divide in background)















(Left photo: still chipper at end of Coal Creek Trail, mile 15. Right photo: whupped and wind-whipped, mile 31, end-of-run)

I did learn a valuable lesson, though - one that I should have already had drilled into my brain from the run to Michigan. I had printed out maps of the run to carry along. Not wanting to carry a whole lot of paper, they were somewhat high-level maps - about 5 or 6 miles per print. This is not enough detail. I had four misdirections during the run. Result? My carefully mapped out 30-miler turned into a surprise 31-miler. I was whupped at the end but...perhaps even more ready for the upcoming 60k, eh?!

(Post-run, happily reunited with Taz pup)

No comments: