Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Three cheers for friends and trails

Boulder is still shivering beneath a layer of snow. Consequently, roads - with their snow-banked narrow lanes, iced surfaces, and zooming traffic - are not an ideal running venue. One alternative is the concrete bike paths; safe, cleared of snow, but hard on the legs. That is the alternative Amie and I chose today for 90 minutes (most of Amie's run, about half of mine). Eschewing the dicey roads, we headed for the concrete path around little Viele Lake in south Boulder. Around and around we went, a run routine that I would normally get bored with and bail on but our mouths were running as fast as our feet and time flew by.

When Amie headed for home, I headed out to the roads, hoping to find some that would be clear enough to offer a pleasant run. I kept heading up and west thinking that with less traffic, the road running would improve, but it just wasn't happenin'. Then I spotted an entrance to the trail that runs along the base of NCAR hill. It beckoned. I answered. And the running improved dramatically. Packed snow, no ice, no traffic. Yup. Trails, still the best running around!

No comments: