Saturday, January 20, 2007

Another long one

Perhaps this will be one of those days I draw on if I have a tough day during this summer's run. It was a slow slow run. No "gliding down the road" here - more like, clomp clomp clomp. But, the run is in the books now: 4 hours, 47 minutes and 25.5 miles.

It was actually a rather pleasant route. For those of you familiar with Boulder, I ran from my house in south Boulder out to the Rez, then east on Monarch, south on 79th, and east on Hwy 52 to Dacono. The Hwy 52 stretch is part of the first day's route on the way to Michigan.

Hero's award to my husband, Kendall, who met me about 20 miles into the run with a refill of Gatorade. (I had expected to come across a gas station for beverage refill and bathroom facilities - but no luck). He then went ahead and called back to let me know there was a McDonald's 2 miles ahead (where I could use the bathroom). And then he gave me a lift over the Interstate 25 overpass whose shoulders were piled high with snow leaving no place to run. And then he let me know just what to keep my eyes on so I'd know how close I was getting to Dacono. And then he took me out for a most delicious meal of Mexican food.

Best sighting of the day (besides the Gatorade refill): a magnificent bald eagle sitting grandly in a tree with the Continental Divide as his backdrop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paula,
Sounds like a great run. Wish I could run with you. We'll be there over the President's Day weekend next month, but I'm not in that kind of shape.
Dick Lipsey.