Monday, January 08, 2007

Martin Miles - again

Today's weather challenge was the wind. Gusts were reported at 70-90 mph depending on what part of Boulder you were in. All I know is that all the bits and pieces of our house that rattle when the wind is really really strong were rattling. However, the creaking and banging subsided to the sub-20 mph rattles around 1 p.m. so out I went for my run. I didn't exactly trust the wind to stay calm so I decided I'd slip slide my way to the one plowed road in our neighborhood and run back and forth on that. It would allow for a quick trip home if the wind started howling again.

That one plowed road happens to be Martin Drive - the site of my wheel-measured mile and many a mile repeat workout over the past 20+ years. Today there would be no speed, just a whole lot of going back and forth. About two miles into it, when it became apparent that I might be able to get quite a long run out of this, I realized I was going to need to be able to do some drinking along the way so I slip slid the block and one-half back home and grabbed my water belt and bottle. About five miles into the run I was overly toasty so again I ran the moguls back home and switched from tights to shorts, stripped to one long-sleeve layer on top, dropped the gloves and switched from winter hat to cap. That was the last detour on my out/back over and over again session.

As the miles mounted up I kept reminding myself that many a person has said that my run this summer could be mind-numbingly boring. I tend to believe that the variation in scenery, towns, weather, etc. will keep me entertained - but on the off chance those folks are right, today was good practice for the mind. Twelve complete trips up and down Martin, plus a couple of detours. I'm logging 12.5 and calling it good.

No comments: