Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Catching a workout wherever I can

Yesterday I had three very different workouts:
  1. Early morning indoor track session with long-time running buddy Patti. It was just like old times - our speed was even a bit reminiscent of our olden (younger) days. We did 20 laps on a 1/8 mile track alternating fast and easy and started with 65 second splits and ended with 55. I do believe it's the fastest I've run since the 2006 Bolder Boulder. Where did the speed come from? Good question since I've been estimating my pace recently at 11-12 mpm. I think it had a lot to do with running on a completely dry surface where you could really stretch out and not have to worry about foot placement and ice and snow with every step. Very fun. The track session plus the run there and longer run home gave me 11 miles for the morning workout.
  2. The afternoon workout was an easy 4.5 miles to the post office and a bit beyond. The temps were almost warm so surfaces were fairly ice free as long as you stuck with plowed roads. A good easy run.
  3. The evening workout was a trip to the rec center with my husband so he could check out the facilities and get a bit of exercise in. (He typically walks very early in the morning which is darned near impossible these days with the unplowed surfaces surrounding our house.) I tried out an elliptical trainer for the first time and put in a couple of miles on that followed by a short weight workout. A good way to cap off the day!
Today's runs weren't quite so satisfying.
  1. The morning run was early enough to still be dealing with icey roads and the wind was gusting with stop-you-in-your-tracks speed. That combination did not make for a pleasant (or safe) outing. I packed it in at 4 miles.
  2. Later in the afternoon the wind was still blowing. So - another trip to the rec center for 6 miles on the treadmill - the most I've ever done on a treadmill. As much as I don't like running indoors or in place, there were some benefits: I could set the speed to be a very honest pace (10 mpm - quicker than what I expect to be running this summer); the treadmills overlook the rec center swimming pool which provides enough distraction to help the time pass; the entire experience helps train my mind to handle relative boredom which, conceivably, could come in handy this summer.
So...just 10 miles for the day (I was hoping to average 14 per day this week) - but it's better than nothing which would be an easy total to go with given the outdoor conditions these days.

No comments: