Sunday, July 16, 2006

Coyote Heat

Another warm day today, blue cloudless sky, birdsong filling the air, butterflies dancing about. And for the uphill portion of my run, not another human to be seen. Instead, I was treated to the sight of 3 coyote pups dashing across the trail I was on. I stopped to scan the surroundings for mama coyote. There she was, uphill off to the side watching for my next move. I decided she'd be happiest if I moved on, so off I went ...ahead to the west while the pups played in the creek to the south.

Today's run brought the week's mileage to 67.5. I think this is the highest weekly total I've ever achieved. And it's my 3rd 60+ mile week of the last 4 weeks. Gearing up!

A bit of running background: I've been running regularly since 1978 and have now logged 46,106.5 lifetime miles. This includes 26 marathons - but nothing longer than a marathon (unless you count the one marathon where I went off course and added a 9 minute detour to my run). I'm not the most athletically gifted human on the planet, but I have a whole lot of stubborn which should serve me well on next summer's run from Boulder, Colorado to Petoskey, Michigan!

No comments: