Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Run with the Son

After a 12-straight-hour workday, I was treated to a run with my son Paul. He and I have been running off and on together since he was a wee tyke (see pic from 1991 KickOff Classic). However, he didn't start running regularly until last year, training fairly seriously for the 2005 Bolder Boulder then running (as a senior) with the Boulder High School cross-country team. This spring he announced he'd best start ramping up his trainig. My response: "oh, to get ready for college cross country?" (he will be running xc at Knox College, a Division III school in Galesburg Illinois, starting this fall). His reply: "nope, to get ready for your run." Cool! Of course, now the boy is much faster than I, but today he took it easy on me (and I stepped up my pace) and we spent an hour just before sunset cruising the bikepaths and trails between my office and home talking about the day's events, prepping for college, prepping for retirement parties, and just running.
Life is good.

No comments: