Saturday, July 22, 2006

A trip through the archives


I spent the day today (after my run) going through files in my office. It was quite entertaining to see project documents of old: training materials on cellophane overheads, hand-drawn illustrations within typed documents, keyboard maps for dumb terminals, real floppy floppies. A lot of years were packed in those filing cabinets; a lot of smiles came with the memories. And one occasion for tears.
I found the notes I had written for the little speech I gave at my father-in-law's retirement party. Woody Miller was a mighty fine man and we thoroughly enjoyed eachother - and CU. He had met his bride-to-be at CU, he graduated from CU in the 40s and returned in the 70s as the director of Academic Media after earning his PhD from Michigan State. [The picture is of me and Woody at my graduation from CU's MBA program, 1980.]
Woody and I spent many an hour cheering on the CU Buffs and talking CU politics. But what meant the most to me, was that Woody was always proud of me, encouraging, certain that I could do whatever I set out to do. It would have been so wonderful to have shared both my retirement from CU and my upcoming adventure with him. Woody, you are missed.

No comments: