Saturday, December 02, 2006

Challenges

As I've mentioned the last few days - the weather is making for some tough running: cold, snow, packed snow, ice, yada yada yada. Today was no exception. I started out for my longest run of the week shortly before 6 a.m. and found myself in the midst of a steady snowfall. I tiptoed over the ice for the mile or so to the main (plowed) road where I turned east and ran until I needed to turn around to head back into town to meet up with a couple running buddies for the last bit of the run. The good news was that the road and the shoulder of the east-bound road were in great condition for running. The bad news was that east (and north) were into the wind and snow. Turning around at ~7 miles or so got the wind to my back - a good thing. Unfortunately, the west-bound road's shoulder wasn't in such great shape, with clumps of snow and ice along the way. To add to the fun, by now the newly fallen snow had accumulated to a depth that came up over the tops of my shoes. Cold tootsies! Throughout the run I kept telling myself that if I bailed on this run - my first 90 mile week - I'd be bailing on the Run To Michigan. So...no bailing was had. All in all I got in close to 3 hours this morning - a very good thing.

To continue my pursuit of 90 miles this week, I went out again just a couple hours after getting home from the first run for a multi-part run:
  1. ran around the neighborhood and the neighborhood to the south of us (~4 miles);
  2. stopped by the house to tell my husband that I'd be running to the CU women's basketball game and to please bring a dry shirt - then ran to the basketball game (~2 miles);
  3. watched the game then ran from there roundabout to the grocery store (~3 miles).
Current total for the week: 82 miles. 8 more...just 8 more...and I've got my first 90 mile week. I hope to get those 8 logged early tomorrow so that, by the time I report for Colder Boulder race duty at 7:15 a.m., I'll be done running for the week.

And now for the second challenge of the day: my husband just learned of the proposed 2007-08 calendar for the school district he works for. It has them starting school one week earlier than usual. This means I need to get the run to Michigan done in 9 weeks and 3 days. Gulp.

No comments: