Wednesday, December 20, 2006

No faux sneaux here!

The weather forecasters were waffling big time earlier in the week about how much snow we might get with an incoming front. I figured I'd best get out early today just in case the predictors of a Big Snow (the majority of the weather folk) were right. When I left the house there was just a wee itty bit of a dusting of snow on the ground, temperatures were mild (upper 20s), and the wind was light.

My route started on a southerly direction then curved east/northeast where the wind picked up a tad - but the snow lightened even more and I was starting to believe we were in the midst of a faux sneaux storm. This was maybe 5 miles into the run. Howsoever, about 8 miles into the run, the snow gods got serious, the wind howled and the snow whooshed down. It got so bad at times I had to swing around and put my back to the wind...the snow simply stung too much when I was pointed straight into it. Fortunately, around 10 miles into the run my route curved west and south putting the wind at my back....but not before questions such as "What are you, crazy?!" started popping into my head.

I was having to dig deep to keep myself running, then decided to provide myself with a little diversion and ran past my pre-retirement office, waving at all my coworkers as I passed their windows. One dashed outside and hollered "Are you nuts!" and I replied with "This is what you get to do when you're retired!" By the time I got home, I was one frozen popsicle runner. And just as I stripped and was stepping into the shower, my husband walked in yelling "hot latte delivery" - my hero!

Oh - as for the weather forecasters: those who were going for the big numbers had it right. We're measuring 18 inches in our backyard, a mere 12 hours since I started running in the aforementioned "wee itty bit of a dusting of snow" and the flakes continue to fall.

No comments: