Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Meeting with The Coach

Mark P is my volunteer coach. Since he simply stepped up and said he'd love to help me with this adventure, I don't like to impose on him too much - so we exchange emails and meet just every now and then. Today was one of those meeting days. What a positive influence he is! He still gets a most amused look on his face when we talk 180-mile weeks during The Run - but then he turns right around and lays out a plan that positions me well for achieving those 180-mile weeks and assures me that a lot of training effect will take place during the run.

So, between now and June, I stay on the four-week cycle:
Week 1: pile on miles
Week 2: pile on more miles
Week 3: cut back on miles and emphasize quality (hills, tempo, fartlek and an overall quicker pace)
Week 4: easy week
Throughout: focus on recovery (nutrition, vitamins, stretching, ice, epson salts, sleep)

Based on the plan we arrived at today, I'll be running 100-mile weeks by mid-January. And the week of March 12th, I'll run a 180-mile week ("for my head" since I'm really concerned about going into The Run, of many 180-mile weeks, without ever having run a 180-mile week). I'll also have a 160-mile week in April and a 140-mile week in May to experiment with back-to-back 30-mile days. The last 3 weeks before The Run I cut back on the mileage so I can hit the road feeling fresh. So! That's the plan ...as of December 13th!

No comments: