Friday, December 01, 2006

Plow! Plow! Who's got a plow?

...or, more accurately: who's got a plow and knows how to use it?
I spent 2.5 hours this morning running around town trying to find clear footing. The roads that were in the best shape had room enough for a car - but not for a car and a runner. Boulder's plow drivers need to spend some time apprenticing in northern Michigan... Beyond the roads, bike paths were ice-packed; trails were snow-covered and/or ice-packed and/or snow drifted. The big question then became: where should tomorrow's satboys long run be held? After my scouting expedition and a few phone calls and e-mails, the plan looks like I'll start out at daybreak and head east on a fairly major road that actually is well-plowed and tends to have very light traffic early weekend mornings. I'll run 6 miles east, then reverse direction, then reverse direction once again and this time, on the way back east, meet up with the gang and we'll all run the last 3 miles east then come back west to where they all parked. Rather goofy, but it should get the requisite miles in.

I mentioned yesterday that I was going to do three runs today. Since I ran so long this morning, I only needed one shorter run this afternoon. Unfortunately, I didn't get started on that one until 4 p.m. It sure does get dark fast this time of year...and the temperature fell equally quickly. It was an errand oriented run, and running home from the errand had me pretty darned nervous...running down the main street through our neighborhood, dark, icey roads, no room on the shoulders (due to plowed up snow), cars zooming by... a little too much excitement for my frosty feet!

No comments: