Friday, December 08, 2006

Mapping Nebraska

I've just spent the last two hours mapping the first 105 miles of the Nebraska portion of the run. Having learned my lesson during the Colorado mapping exercise, I tackled the exercise fully equipped with:
  • a hardcopy Nebraska map from AAA,
  • Google Earth - which has the best road detail I've found so far and provides GPS coordinates - but doesn't provide the ability to save a route (that I've been able to find)
  • mapmyrun.com - which does allows one to save route - but you've got to do it in increments (the last time we decided to create routes in 105 mile increments)
So, I started plotting my way through Nebraska, saved at 45 miles, brought the map back up, asked to edit it, continued on through 105 miles, pressed 'update' and was told I didn't have permission and !poof! miles 45 through 105 of the Nebraska route were gone. Arggghhhhh.

Fortunately, I had written down every 15-mile section of the route including the roads followed and description and coordinates of each 15-mile end point so it's not been an entirely wasted effort.

I sure would like to find a more robust mapping tool, though - one that provides map and satellite image graphics, can handle a long route (ultimately 1500-1800 miles), shows mileage as the route is laid out, allows marking of 15-mile segments, offers road name details and GPS coordinates, and accommodates saving and editing. Not asking for too much am I? Does anyone know of such a tool?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I use

http://www.usatf.org/routes/

and have had good luck with it. I'm not sure how it would like an 1800+ mile route though.