Thursday, December 14, 2006

Paying attention to the details

My legs have felt rather rickety this week. But, rickety or not, I had a 12 mile run on tap for this morning and I was determined to get it done. On the plus side, some of it was with the Boulder Road Runners; running with others tends to make me forget all the aches and pains and the miles fly by. But by the time I left the Road Runners and added another hour to the run, my legs were once again squawking. It may take a bit of pounding on the cranium, but eventually, I get the hint. This time when I got home, I did everything right:
  • got the coffee started as soon as I walk in the door
  • stretched gently but thoroughly - all parts of my body
  • drank some chocolate soy milk to do a quick nourishment replenishment during the window when replenishing is most effective
  • hosed my legs down with cold water - lots of cold water, lots of hosing, thighs on down
  • fixed a good breakfast and sat down and ate it without rushing
It seems to have paid off. After breakfast I went over to Kendall's school to help in the library and my legs felt lively on the walk both there and back. I definitely need to pay attention to these details if I want to make it through The Run!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want really cold water, come plunge with me on Jan 1 into the icy waters of Boulder Res as a fundraiser for Longmont Humane Society. I'm hoping to recruit BGF to do his infamous and long-awaited backflip into the water as well. He'll get a soft landing as well as the immediate icing effect ;-).
-LD