Thursday, December 07, 2006

Too much....running? rest?

This is the 'easy' week of my four-week training cycle. As such, I've been doing just one run per day - with a couple of six-ish mile runs and a couple of 10-mile runs so far. Today was a 10 mile run with the Boulder Road Runners so a tad faster than I would have run on my own. And when I got home I just plain ached all over. Is this because my body is generally fatigued from the prior three weeks of 82, 85.5, and 90 miles of running? Or is it because (based on past experience) my body simply does not like to rest? It rebels when doctors tell me to take it easy due to injury or sickness; it protests when I follow a traditional pre-marathon taper; it goes on strike when I take days off from running. "Rest" seems to signal to my body that it's time to shut down - in very cantankerous fashion.

In any case, shortly after my run (and stretching, showering, breakfasting), I headed over to my husband's school to help him out in the library. Today's job was picking up big boxes of books, emptying them to scan each book's bar code, repacking them, carrying the boxes over to the side of the room out of the way, then picking them back up, emptying them, stamping each book, then carrying them over to the side of the room again. (He has his methods and I'm just a volunteer so who am I ...systems analyst that I am... to argue finer points of efficiency with him ;-)) Towards the end of my shift at the library, Kendall's brother showed up to say 'hi' as he was on his way to deliver Christmas trees from his ski hut property to a tree lot in town. So I went with him to help unload trees from his trailer and truck. I'm feeling much better now!

No comments: