Monday, January 30, 2012

Only in Boulder


This is one of my all-time favorite signs, posted at many Boulder bike path underpasses. It makes me smile every time I see it. I'm pretty sure ice does exist; I guess there just isn't room on the sign to say Ice May Exist...here...now...

At this particular underpass, another sign might be useful - to offer the warning: Tumbleweeds May Exist. For some reason, this is a very popular tumbleweed gathering place. Whenever I pass through here after a windstorm, I usually end up spending some time clearing tumbleweeds to reduce the chance of a surprise tumble attack on an unsuspecting cyclist. Even if there hasn't been a windstorm, more often than not, you'll find at least one straggler like this fellow I found today.

Beyond the question of existence, today I was reminded of another Boulder phenomenon: bike paths and trails throughout the city. Running the five miles home from my volunteer job, I traveled over 1.5 blocks of a country road, 3 blocks between my house and the Bear Creek bike path - and everything else was on paths and trails, most of that following alongside creeks. Along this particular route I've been led down the path by an owl, had a great blue heron fly up in front of me, seen deer, foxes and raccoons scamper about, and even spotted a snapping turtle. Today's sightings were a bit more commonplace: crows, bluebirds, woodpeckers, squirrels, cows - all surrounded by the sounds of birdsong and wind...the roar of the city muffled in the distance, even though I was running right through the heart of it.

Interesting how piling on the miles of running can be simultaneously fatiguing and uplifting.

No comments: