Tuesday, February 20, 2007

An all around good day

This was definitely one of those days that leaves you smiling. To start with, this morning's run:
  • saw a blue heron near my old office
  • stopped at my old office to tell them about the heron and saw some of my old work buddies - one of whom has my old plants and, my goodness, they look grand
  • saw a whole bunch of hawks swirling and swooping
  • ran a route I haven't run in many years - past the school house that was built the year my dad was born (1911), past the farm house I've admired since the first day I saw it...and it's now listed as 'historic' and is for sale, past the old brick house with three stories, big porch, nooks & crannies everywhere
  • glorious view of the Continental Divide
  • saw a coyote who saw me and we both trotted along giving each other long looks
  • did the middle of the run as a tempo run singing Yankee Doodle to myself (which works out to a 9 mpm pace), and counted steps per minute before and after the tempo section to be sure I was going 91 steps per minute (counting just the left footfalls) - and felt great while cruising
  • it was sunny! the roads were dry! I was wearing shorts!
The first leg of the run (~9 miles) ended at the door to a company I'm asking to sponsor me. I dropped off the sponsor request form and letter and got up the guts to ask if I could speak to the sponsor person. The answer was yes! So we had a brief meeting, she seemed to respond favorably, and I'll know in April whether or not my request for sponsorship was accepted.

I ran back only as far as a bus stop, took the bus back into town and went to the next smile-generating function of the day: a free concert at the Boulder Public Library - the Gypsy Swing Revue band - great foot tapping music and superb musicians.

Next it was a run home (via the "hill" neighborhood near CU - somewhere I haven't run since the snow hit - fun hills, ran past a house I lived in during grad school, great change of scenery from the last couple of months). Only a brief stop at home for a quick bite, shower and change then off to a retirement party at CU for a fellow I worked many a project with. 'Twas old home week...many many people I used to work with throughout my 26 years at CU. Very fun to catch up with everyone.

Now, it's back home - and the smile's still on my face. A good day. A very good day.

No comments: