Tuesday, February 13, 2007

More miles? Well, then, more snow!

Yes indeedy. This week calls for 110 miles - a new high watermark for me, so, naturally, today brings more snow, cold, and ice. Despite the weather, I met up with AndyE for some hill drills. We managed 4 before it just got too slick and we called it quits for the drills. I ended up with an hour 45 minutes of running outside, followed by 3 miles of a treadmill hill workout at the rec center where AndyE and I had rendezvoused, and another couple of miles running home. Whether or not I go out again today will be a matter of gumption...

As for last week's running, I got in my second 100-mile week. By Friday I was feeling pretty creaky - enough so that I had my doubts about Saturday's runs. But, sticking to the plan, Saturday morning I pulled on my running gear, loaded up my pockets with Lara bars to munch on during the day, and headed out for my run to the xc races - and felt great! What with the excitement of the xc competition, I continued to feel great all day as I buzzed around doing my volunteer thing. By the end of the day, though, I was getting a bit concerned about Sunday's long run since Saturday had included 8 continuous hours on my feet, 3 runs, and very little food until dinner (oatmeal for breakfast, and 2 Lara bars, 1 cup of coffee, and 1 bottle of Gatorade during the day). But, again sticking to the plan, I headed out Sunday morning set on getting the 17.5 miles I needed to finish off my 100 mile week - and felt great!

You know how when you embark on something new and challenging, be it sport or academics or professional pursuit, you start from a comfort zone (often born of ignorance in my case) and dive into a whirlpool of struggling newness, thrashing your way through trying to master new skills and new knowledge and eventually, if you keep at it, you find yourself on a new higher-level comfort zone. So....I'm wondering....have I reached a new level? I hope so!
Meanwhile, today, it's just the snow/ice/cold vs. my gumption...

No comments: