Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Hill fun

First: it's warm! How warm? Warm enough for shorts! Yesterday it was predicted to get into the 50s so I went ahead and headed out in shorts even while the temps were in the 30s. It warmed up quite nicely and I was one happy pale-legged camper. Today it was already into the 40s when I went out the door and my knees were happily breathing fresh air once again.

Second: the hills! The plan was to meet AndyE at our favorite hill-repeat hill. I ran about 50 minutes to our rendezvous point, and we found a horde of runners gathering for their hill repeat session at our hill. It turned out to be Mark Plaatjes' training group and when they saw us hanging out behind them (no way were we going to the head of the line) they encouraged us to join in. Well, heck, why not?! Every train needs a caboose! So there we were, running hill repeats with Plaatjes' speedy striders. 10 repeats in fact. And it was a blast. We were by far the slowest in the group but it turned into an excellent workout. They'd make it to the top and turn, and as soon as we saw them turn, we turned. They'd pass us on the way down, and when we saw them turn at the bottom, we'd turn to go back up the hill. 5 repeats or so into the workout, I started playing 'rabbit' - trying to stay ahead of the fastest runners with Mark exhorting his runners to catch Paula. About 8 repeats in, only Mark caught me and we both burst out laughing when he sneaked up on my shoulder (that man is a beautiful runner...his feet barely touch the ground as he flies by). And, upon finishing the 10th repeat, off I went for the rest of my run...50 more minutes, all of it spent dreaming of the ice bath I'd be treating my legs to as soon as I got home. Great fun!

No comments: