Saturday, February 17, 2007

Two-part run

I left the house at 6:15 this morning, running from south Boulder, through town, then north and east to the Boulder Reservoir where I was to meet running buddies Joe and AndyE. The in-town portion of the run was horrendous: icey roads, even icier sidewalks and bike paths, cold, dark, dancing over ice to make room for cars - and to top it all off, one car decided to drive down the bike lane I was occupying...driver looking at me all the way. It was at that point in the run that I began to question this whole adventure. The snow, the cold, the ice, the difficulty of getting the miles in through this rugged winter, and the crazy drivers were all conspiring to turn me into a sniveling pile of whimpishness.

Then I got onto the country roads north of town.
The sun was rising higher, roads were dry, horses were whinnying, cows were grazing, hawks were flying, the three-legged dog that had chased after me a few months ago was tied up, and my running buddies were waiting at the rez with smiles. The second nine miles of the run were delightful. Sunshine, a new loopy route, good company, lovely views of the mountains, almost no traffic, great footing and a quick pace. All was right with the world once again.

As for the second run of the day (in my desperate attempt to get to 110 miles for the week by the end of the day tomorrow) - I ran to a running store and bought a new watch. The band was breaking, the battery was running down (the 2nd battery its had), and my tired old eyes are having a harder time reading the white numbers on a black background of my old watch. So! I now have a new watch with easy-to-read black numbers on a light background, a cloth watchband, and the same controls as the old watch so no learning curve involved. I can't wait to take it for a run - which will probably be a 17 miler tomorrow to get my 110...a good first workout for the new timepiece!

No comments: